Fall leaf season is almost upon us! As a municipal manager, you are well aware of the impacts Fall leaves can have on your city, town or village operation – from leaf removal and disposal to maintaining a clean stormwater system.
In response to these concerns, many municipalities around the county have endorsed and/or adopted a policy of mulch mowing leaves in-place along public right-of-ways and in public parks.
What are some of the benefits of mulch mowing?
• Helps reduce the total volume of leaves from being processed through the county organic waste stream.
• Helps create healthier soils in turf areas and provides a source of free mulch for landscape beds.
• Helps keep leaves out of the storm water system and reduces organic pollutants flowing into the bay or river.
• Helps DPW / Parks crews “get on” to other important business rather than being “tied up” disposing of leaves.
• Helps reduce budgetary costs from overtime, fuel, seasonal equipment repairs, and tipping fees.
Since 2010, an educational program concerning mulch mowing has been developed under the umbrella of “Love ‘Em and Leave ‘Em” (LELE). The target audience is not just municipalities (DPW, Parks Departments), but county-wide residents, professional landscapers and property managers.
In support of this initiative, a 30 second PSA (Public Service Announcement) concerning LELE Mulch Mowing has been produced and released to be freely shown on local cable access, at community events or in other venues. The PSA is geared towards the local homeowner and quickly outlines the benefits of mulch mowing, while creating an atmosphere of ‘feel good’ action addressing environmental concerns.
This email is to notify you as to the availability of the PSA and to request that you consider programming it onto your municipal video channel. (In one community, for example, it has been programmed to run every hour on the hour.) The PSA is available in several SD formats including for web streaming (.mp4) and cable or FIOS (.mpeg). Links to these files, as well as a youTube version, can be found on the LELENY.ORG website under the Toolkit tab. The direct link is as follows: http://www.leleny.org/p/lele-toolkit.html#videos
Please feel free to contact us with any questions about this PSA or about the LELE initiative. If you are scheduling the PSA for public access viewing, please drop us a quick note to email@example.com so we can keep a running tally.